When we snuggle and play with our pets, we demonstrate our affection and strengthen the bond with our animals. When practicing responsible pet ownership, we show them we love them by protecting them from harm and reducing the risk of illness. A safe home environment, a healthy diet, and regular veterinary care are all essential to keeping pets healthy. Show the love by following these tips:
- Commit to the right pet for you, your home, and your lifestyle. Before you select a pet, take the time to understand its needs to ensure you can provide the appropriate nutrition, shelter, exercise, and health care.
- Provide necessary health care, such as vaccinations and flea and tick control. This keeps your pet healthy and prevents disease from spreading between animals and humans. And in many states, vaccinations like rabies are required by law.
- Be a model citizen. Obey the appropriate local ordinances regarding licenses, leash requirements, and noise control. And don’t forget to clean up after your pet!
- Ensure your pet is properly identified. Keep tags, microchips, and registration up to date.
- Don’t contribute to the overpopulation of homeless pets. Limit your pet’s reproduction through spay, spay, neuter, or managed breeding.